LIGO Document E0900047-v21
17 Sep 2020, 06:57
27 Mar 2014, 11:12
06 Sep 2011, 18:09
13 Jul 2011, 10:45
10 Mar 2011, 11:17
14 Jun 2010, 10:45
25 Mar 2010, 08:40
23 Nov 2009, 15:32
21 Oct 2009, 10:38
15 Oct 2009, 14:50
18 Aug 2009, 09:50
07 Jul 2009, 14:13
03 Apr 2009, 10:11
20 Feb 2009, 14:38
- The LIGO interferometers are extremely sensitive to optical scattering or absorption losses induced by both particulate and hydrocarbon contamination. In order to minimize the likelihood of contamination of optical surfaces, numerous operational practices have been implemented at the LIGO Observatories. The purpose of this document is to describe the operational practices that have been implemented so that it can serve as a reference for observatory staff and visitors.
I. CLEANING ON THE GO
For now refer to LIGO-G1300777-v3: Contamination Control Requirements - Gloves, Cleaning on the Go and The Plan (past, present and future)
1. After donning gloves one should wash them with a wipe pre wetted with IPA
a) ALPHA 10 or equivalent and 99% Isoproponal
b) Don’t use the 50:50 pre-soaked wipes from Valutek.
2. One can pick up IPA bottle and wipe once gloves are on to perform cleaning.
3. Wipe should be discarded in appropriate bin after one use.
4. Ensure gloves are dry before starting work, this can be done by eye.
5. If one becomes “dirty” it is okay to repeat step 2 above to become “clean” i.e. it is not necessary to change gloves.
6. Gloves should of course still be changed if they rip or become contaminated beyond what can be handled by the wipe i.e. if you can see something, change!
7. This new guidance on cleaning gloves covers particulate contamination only it does not cover hydrocarbon contamination – again if concerned gloves have become contaminated one should change them and then clean as per step 1 and 2 above.
8. This applies to the Ansell AccuTech Ultra-Clean Latex gloves.
9. Two pairs of gloves should still be worn i.e. an outer pair and an inner pair.
- -Pictures added
-Change room to LVEA garb requirements clarified
-Cleanroom traffic flow clarified
DCC Version 3.4.0, contact