LIGO Document P070052-x0
- Presented in this paper is the description of a Markov chain Monte Carlo (MCMC) routine for conducting coherent parameter estimation for interferometric gravitational wave observations of an inspiral of binary compact objects using multiple detectors. Data from several interferometers are processed, and all nine parameters (ignoring spin) associated with the binary system are inferred, including the distance to the source, the masses, and the location on the sky. The data is matched with time-domain inspiral templates that are 2.5 post-Newtonian (PN) in phase and 2.0 PN in amplitude. We designed and tuned an MCMC sampler so that it is able to efficiently find the posterior mode(s) in the parameter space and perform the stochastic integration necessary for inference within a Bayesian framework. Our routine could be implemented as part of an inspiral detection pipeline for a world-wide network of detectors. Examples are given for simulated signals and data as seen by the LIGO and Virgo detectors operating at their design sensitivity.
- Full document number: LIGO-P070052-00-Z
- Author(s): Nelson Christensen; Gianluca Guidi; Renate Meyer; Christian Rover; Andrea Vicere
- Document date: 2007-03-31
- Document received date: 2007-04-30
- Document entry date: 2007-04-30
DCC Version 3.4.2, contact