LIGO Document P080017-x0
- A generic 'chirp' of the form h(t) = A(t)cos (t) can be closely approximated by a connected set of multiscale chirplets with quadratically-evolving phase. The problem of finding the best approximation to a given signal using chirplets can be reduced to that of finding the path of minimum cost in a weighted, directed graph, and can be solved in polynomial time via dynamic programming. For a signal embedded in noise we apply constraints on the path length to obtain a statistic for detection of chirping signals in coloured noise. In this paper we present some results from using this test to detect binary black hole coalescences in simulated LIGO noise.
- Full document number: LIGO-P080017-00-Z
- Author(s): Emmanuel Candes; Philip Charlton; Hannes Helgason
- Document date: 2008-02-20
- Document received date: 2008-02-20
- Document entry date: 2008-02-20
- Published in Class Quant Grav vol. 25 pg. 184020 (12pp).
DCC Version 3.2.2, contact
Document Database Administrators